Note: Nutritional information above has been estimated. Results may vary. Information is provided for convenience and does not constitute professional nutritional advice.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, or more to taste
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- In a large heavy pot, heat half the olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and carrot, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook until onion is translucent, 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes, then stir in curry powder. Cook, stirring constantly to prevent spices from burning, until spices are fragrant.
- Add lentils and water and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, puree chickpeas, lemon juice, remaining olive oil, and 1/4 cup of water.
- Stir puree into lentils, along with butter. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and/or additional curry powder, then thin soup with water until desired consistency.